Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Cure for Boredom


Little man has been struggling, and so has this Mommy.  “I’m bored” has been a constant irritation coming from his quiet mouth attached to his freckled head…which is attached to his growing body, which also includes idle hands.  Do dishes, fold laundry, clean up are not encouraging his heart of eight years.

This morning the little blanket wrapped boy lay in the hallway outside the bathroom door as I readied myself for the day.  He cracked the door open, and said, “Mommy, I’m bored.”  His voice was calm, tired, and kind.  Not the whining that I usually hear.  The Lord must have known that a child’s voice as this prompts bible reading.
“Come and sit in the living room with me, buddy.”
“Ok.”

His blanket inched across the floor as the mini king and cloak eased onto the couch.  I grabbed my coffee, sat across from him in my chair, and opened my bible to Proverbs.
We had a pre-reading conversation about what a desire is, what a sluggard is, and what the opposite of a sluggard is.  He seemed confidently detached. 
“Are you paying attention, bud?”
“Yes,” said the eyelids as they caught my words like sleeping dust.  (Every mother knows she is magical!)

As I say my silent prayers of “Lord, please help my boy from the wrath of my human, feminine anger and may my words reflect your grace and not my increasing irritation,” I read:
“The desire of the sluggard kills him, for his hands refuse to labor.  All day long he craves and craves, but the righteous gives and does not hold back.”

We did circles around the topics of:
Desire: it’s not always bad; it’s what you desire that should be looked at.
Sluggard: never helping or taking care of necessaries.
Refusing to labor: not helping, or working, or doing what is necessary.
Craving: wanting. 
Giving without holding back: having the ability and resources to help others without expecting anything in return.
Generous: giving everything you can, for the glory of God.
Back and forth we discussed these topics with the lens of the bible, God’s words, His life for us, His children.

I laid everything out in eight year old terms, repeatedly, with the hope of something sticking.  In my head it was just another conversation I thought would be lost in the mind on my Lego builder, left for me to pray over and see the fruit when he becomes a father, or never fruiting at all.
“Do you want to be a sluggard, or a righteous giver?”
“How can we be generous?”
“What things do you desire?”
He responded and we talked, and more Q & A took place while my head swirled with my silent prayers for his wrapped up freckled face.

Then he did it.  He made me smile.  I shouldn’t be surprised.  He smiles every time I flex my Mommy muscles.  As a toddler he would laugh, and make me laugh, as I attempted reprimand.
And now my blanket boy says, “Mommy, you’re so generous.”
“What? How am I generous?” says doubtful Mommy.
“Well, you’re so kind!  Thank you for that.”  His smile spreads and my heart is a puddle in my coffee cup. 
“Thanks, buddy!  Do you feel motivated now… to not be bored?”
“YUP!”
“Me too!”  
That was a great start to my day, Lord.

The desire of the sluggard kills him, for his hands refuse to labor.  All day long he craves and craves, but the righteous gives and does not hold back.  Proverbs 21: 25-26

Whoever pursues righteousness and kindness will find life, righteousness and honor. Proverbs 21:21

2 comments:

Kaeli said...

what a wonderful blessing to read this morning! i miss isaiah (and trinity) a lot. i'm so glad you're raising them the right way, with a true love and passion for the word. <3

Lobug said...

That was beautiful.
I love your mommy stories. You are so inspiring.