Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Following A Quiet Leader

There's this little thing in the back of my mind that I like to call the Lord's voice. Now, this is the type of thing that some people would call crazy, other's may play it as a conscience, but I like to call it the Holy Spirit. See, as a born again believer in Christ Jesus, I have the Holy Spirit. I now have the ability to head the warning, direction, and guidance of the Lord! Yes, I am superwoman. No, not really....

So, with that, this "thing" has been telling me to stop being such a strong woman. Not to stop doing my job, or to stop being a helper to my husband... but to stop being so strong willed. See, I'm a "type A". HA-HA! Perfectionist to the core... give me the facts and I can whip up a plan: complete with a spreadsheet, graphs, and audio for effect! That does NOT come in handy when the Lord says: follow your husband and let him lead. At least I don't see how it comes in handy at this point...

Now, for those of you that know my husband there need be no explanation...but let's just say that he's shy and quiet...NOT "type A"...not sure what you call it, but I'll call it: relaxed...my polar opposite! His relaxed nature is beautiful at those times when all he has to do is look at me and smile...and I melt with calmness during times of turmoil. But, by golly, let's get the ball rollin' when it comes to getting' something done! My darling is perfectly content to wait and let the Lord's timing meander by...but I like to MAKE it happen NOW!

Now, it's not in my brain to say "Why me? Why him? Why now?" But it is in my mind to say "What the heck!?!" How has this worked for so long! Going on 8 years! I'll tell ya how: I've been leading... and leading in the worst way ever! It's not my job to do this! I (we women) were not created for this! I've been pulling the rug out from under my husband for over seven years! Oh, Lord, thank you for your mercy!!

Hold on, those of you that are saying "What the heck?!? I'm a born leader, and I'M a woman!" I'm not talking about personality, I'm talking about how we do this thing called MARRIAGE. Fundamentally, biblical, we women are to follow our husbands. Not in the way that would be off the straight and narrow for us as Christians, but in the way that the husband is the authority of the home. I know that this statement brings up a heap of "stuff" for a lot of people...so I'm making this a multiple part entry...maybe two parts, maybe three... Needless to say, I'll attempt to keep it brief...

"Follow him...follow him...follow him!" Over and over and over...aaahhhh! With as much as I love my husband, and the Lord, this is hard! I know I'm not the only one out there, so I just want to lend some encouragement to those of you who are sharing this struggle with me: Pray...and follow...and pray some more...and continue to follow! Friends and sisters, we are called by the Lord to subject ourselves to our husband.

Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wive ought to be to their husbands in everything. Ephesians 5:22-24. That's a hard pill to swallow if our husbands find it not in their nature to lead! So, we do the one thing we know how: pray...pray for guidance, safety, encouragement, conviction, and patience for our men...pray for the Lord's will to be made clear to the eyes and hearts of our husbands...and continue to clean the floors, wipe the noses, make the dinners, and be cute for the date nights...and pray some more! Seriously!

So this is where I stop trying to tell my husband what spreadsheet to open, or what scripture he needs to read today, or what job I think he needs to get. This is where I stop trying to figure out how it's all gonna work out, and what the heck we're going to do...

This is where I follow down the road of obedience, stopping when needed to make sure I'm looking up to see my husband right in front of me...following down the road to the things the Lord has for us. Which, I might add, are immensely greater and joyful than anything I could EVER conjure up! So, let today be a day of choosing to let go of the reins and let our men take over!

And stay linked...for my next task is to contemplate the burden the Lord has given to our men...which is super gnarly!

No comments: